While I was testing my latest release (1.2) of Vibratium I encountered a puzzling error. It took me a while to track this one down. Hopefully someone else can learn from this.
TL;DR: solution is at the end.
Vibratium worked fine on my dev box, but on my laptop as soon as I added a Render Object the application would crash.
In the Application event log I got Application Error 1005:
“Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Vibratium because of this error.”
This is primarily a performance update with a few changes visible to users.
1. The crosshairs button is labeled and indicates if it is active.
2. The app will now attempt to choose a ‘best’ drawing size to accommodate your screen size.
3. The project format is now XML. Unfortunately old projects will be unusable with newer versions of the app. If you want to keep them then open them in your current version and copy down the settings by hand. This should be a one-time breaking change, so it’s better to do it now with fewer users.
4. There is now only one file to copy – Vibratium.exe – and it’s smaller than previous versions. You can safely delete the old binary files (*.exe, *.dll).
5. You can control the individual gamma channels.
6. Frame rate, render time, and screen drawing times are now displayed in the status bar.
7. Memory usage is much more stable and smaller now.
8. SSE 4.1 support is detected upon startup. If the processor doesn’t support it a message will be displayed and the app will exit gracefully